Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Big Fat Thank You

Although I 'technically' graduated from BYU in December tomorrow is when it really happens.  As I picked up Jake and my gowns and counted down the minutes until I can walk across that stage for point 5 seconds I thought back on my time at BYU.  I am so truly grateful for the pride and the accomplishment I feel from saying that I earned not only a college degree but one from my first choice BYU.

There would have be absolutely no possible way I could have done this without my parents. I am so grateful that in high school they told me they would only pay for BYU. At the time I didn't think much of it and just applied there because that was really all I knew. I will forever be grateful for that decision. I know BYU isn't the school for everybody but it was the perfect school for me.  I loved every minute of my time there. Except for DTRs, physical science A and B, living with a crazy roomie my sophomore year, and an awful guy who didn't understand the meaning of never talk to me again. Aside from those little things BYU was amazing! 

The thing I will look back on for years to come as a highlight is my major. I was never planning to do El Ed but my major got switched to that somehow and I decided to take a leap of faith and go along with the classes required to apply. I instantly found my niche. This is exactly where I was supposed to be. Then it got even better when I was placed in the Wasatch Cohort. Those couple of women are some of the best women I have ever met. They are hard working and truly love that major. None of us went into EL Ed because we wanted to make a lot of money or bank roll our families we did it because we all felt like it was our calling in life. I hope that everyone has the privilege of their children having a teacher who has as much passion for their job as all of us did. Even though I might never use my degree professionally I know that everyday of my life it will be used. I know exactly what to look for to help my children succeed and that is a HUGE blessing.

I was also blessed to be put into some wonderful classrooms. Those 5 women have shaped my beliefs on how to teach as well as how to be a mother. I am forever grateful that I was placed into their classrooms, they have no idea how much they have influenced my life.

In addition to my parents I am so grateful for my grandparents. I am grateful that they set up a college fund and that they helped me throughout my time there.

I am grateful for going to school with my cousins. It is here where I really grew close to them and developed lasting relationships with them. I will always remember cousin lunches and discussing various life events. Thank you Garrett and Torrie you both helped me during my high points and low points. BYU would not have been the same without you! "Hey! Get in the car!"

 A big thank you to Jake. He was always helping me with projects. Whether it was listening to my ideas or suggesting different things to make my projects and lesson plans better. There is so much I could say about how grateful I am to Jake and all he has done its impossible to put it all down.

Once again I desperately want to thank my parents for everything they have done for me so that I could have this opportunity of going and graduating from BYU. I don't know what I would do without my parents and all they have done. I don't think they will ever know how grateful I am for them. There are a lot more people I could give a shout out too but I'll end this ridiculously long post here.  So go out and give your loved ones a big giant thank you for being a part of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment