Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gaining A Little Perspective

In some words you could easily classify this weekend as the weekend from hell.  What started out as a quick trip to St. George to get away and relax quickly turned stressful and EXPENSIVE.
  1. The baby was being incredibly stubborn and not moving at all on Friday. 
  2. We were supposed to leave at 4 for St. George and instead ended up leaving at 7
  3. We got a speeding ticket for going 88 in an 80 zone but the cop dropped it down to 85 (although it costs the same...)
  4. 1 am hospital run to Labor and Deliver to make sure the baby was ok because he hadn't moved in over 2 hours
  5. Making a large hole in the newly landscaped lawn on the way to the hospital
  6. Jake getting super sick
  7. Spending over an hour at Jiffy Lube trying to figure out what is wrong with Jakes' car only to have the computer not bring up anything meaning the car still flashes warning signs at us and seems as if it is just a quick mile away from breaking down
Even with all the problems and the costs that kept piling up at a time when we really can't afford them I couldn't help but look at this weekend and see the glass as half full instead of half empty.  For every number listed above we knew there were countless things that could have happened and been even worse. At the end of the whole weekend I was so incredibly grateful that we only had problems 1-7 happen and not more.  I knew that although nothing went the way we planned it this weekend we were supposed to learn something from each situation.  I think that the most important lesson came from going to the hospital.  

As number 1 said the baby probably moved 3 times all day Friday, which is really low considering you should easily get 10 in an hour.  So I waited till my dr apt to ask what was wrong.  I should have guessed that he would start moving like crazy as soon as they placed the heart monitor on my stomach.  So after he tried kicking or punching the heart monitor off my stomach I asked my dr. why he was not moving and what to do if it happened again.  She couldn't give me a clear or definite reason but told me to go straight to Labor and Delivery if he continued to not move like he usually does.  Which is how Jake and I found ourselves driving to the hospital at 1 am.  After driving to the 1st hospital and being told that L&D was located at the other campus and being given directions to said other campus and 30 min of tests we found out that everything was ok (actually all it took was them placing the heart monitor on my stomach to make him start kicking and punching as hard as possible) no-one still had any explanation for why he hadn't moved but said it was always better to be safe than sorry. 

As we left the hospital and got back home it ended up being about 2 am.  I think through this trip Jake and I realized that A: this is just the 1st of many times that this boy is going to scare the complete crap out of us and B: that all that matters to us now is that he is healthy and ok.  All other worldly things are completely pointless as long as he is healthy.  So I think that in a round-about way our little scare trip to the hospital helped us realize that as long as we are a family our glass is always more than 1/2 full. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, your blog is so uplifting. I hope it's not creepy that I'm reading your blog. Don't know how much you remember me from freshman year, but really enjoy reading your thoughts. You are inspiring. Wish we had gotten to know each other better. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well, as well as the delivery!

    ReplyDelete