Sunday, December 16, 2012

Equality

Today while checking Instagram I came across a comment on a picture talking about Wear Pants To Church and this movement. I don't know if its Kansas or the fact that I remove myself from a lot of political stuff but this was new to me. I had a heard bits and pieces but didn't really know what it was about. After talking to my mom, sister and googleing stuff I got the idea. According to these women wearing pants is a step toward equality and closer to the argument of women receiving the preisthood.

At first I found it odd and somewhat silly. Then I found myself feeling a little sorry for some of these women. I truly do not mean to be offensive or ridicule them for their opinion but I don't see where they are coming from. If you feel that being able to wear pants or hold the priesthood is needed to be an equal in this religion then I truly feel sorry for you.

I love this faith. I have never not felt respected or an equal. I know I am valued and respected. I know that being a woman holds a different meaning in this religion as opposed to the world. I know that to the world I have only gotten married, graduated from college, had a baby and now stay at home and don't even "use my degree". I know it's rare or odd that I am married and a mom at 23. But in my faith and in my own family I am doing the most important thing in the world. I am being a mother.

In my own marriage and life Jake and I are complete equals. We make every big decision together. He does not rule our family just because he has the priesthood, were a partnership making decisions together as one. It was this same way growing up in my family. My mother and father were equal partners. I always knew how much my father respected and valued my mother. He never saw her as less of an equal because she was a woman. I can easily say the exact thing for both grandparents as well as my in laws.

That is one of the things I love most about being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The value placed upon women in this faith is incredible. Lessons and talks are given on the power and influence of various women and how we can strive to learn from their wonderful examples. If you listen to the amount of respect and love shown when a member of the 12 talks about a woman it's hard not to see just how special they feel we as women are.

I see the priesthood as a blessing and responsibility that men carry just as women have the privilege and blessing of carrying babies. Men and Women are just different however both equally loved and cherished by God.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, Rach! I couldn't agree with you more! I saw this article that I thought was really interesting about this issue. http://mormonscholarstestify.org/1718/valerie-hudson-cassler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, this post is fantastic. I had read things about that movement too and I did not agree with it. Thank you for sharing your feelings.

    ReplyDelete