Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Little Voice in My Head

Life has been more than a little crazy because I have been dealing with a sick baby.  About 2 months before T was born I told Jake that I thought it was really important that we get health insurance for T.  Jake looked at me like I was crazy.  I told him that I dont care what it costs and what we have to do but we need health insurance for him just in-case something were to happen. In the beginning we didnt know how it would work out but we followed through and were handed a huge blessing by Heavenly Father.  

When T was born he swallowed a bunch of amniotic fluid which lead to him having a problem with jaundice so we had to take him constantly to the hospital to have his heel pricked and his level checked along with having to have a billi bed.  So Jake and I thought that the insurance already paid off and was a good idea.  Well we had no idea how good of an idea it was until last Wednesday night. 

Having a baby in the winter months everyone always talks about RSV and how scary it is and how careful you have to be and basically put the fear of any and everything inside new parents.  So Jake and I have really only taken Ty out once and he was covered for the whole hour he was outside lol. Well apparently we either have the worst luck ever or I needed to learn a valuable lesson to follow that voice in your head because Wednesday night we found ourselves being admitted to the hospital. 

Jake and I had a cold and I noticed that T started coughing more than normal, so we took him to the doctors office on Monday and they said he just had the common cold and that it would pass.  Well Wednesday night I kept having the feeling that something wasnt right so I checked his temperature and it was over 101 so I called the after hours clinic and after about 15 minutes we were driving over to the hospital.  So I found myself on freakout mode until the Dr. came in and said we really hope its just RSV... So after a lenghty converstaion trying to explain to this freaked out mom why RSV was a good thing I learned a TON about RSV. 
What I learned...
1. RSV is just the common cold in babies
2. RSV isn't the issue its what can develop because of RSV, like meningitis or pneumonia  
3. The main thing they monitor is the oxygen level 
4. RSV usually peaks on day 4 or 5 of the sickness
So overall I learned RSV itself is not that big of a problem as long as it is monitored and watched and to always listen to that voice in my head that sometimes doesn't make sense but is always there to help me. 
 
Luckily we were released the next night and T has been doing great since.  It was incredibly hard to watch everything happen and know that I couldnt do anything to help him.  I am so grateful for modern medicine and that fact that we had insurance and Drs who were overly cautious and wanted to make sure everything was good for T 
   
Right when we got to the hospital he was still pretty happy
Little Unicorn baby...after poking him in the arm 5 times they finally used the vein in his head to place his IV.
Right when we got home from the hospital
Since he has been sick he only sleeps in the nook of my arm
We bought him little sunglasses to celebrate that he cleared all his dr tests!

No comments:

Post a Comment